Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Vacation

I am nearing my first week of summer vacation. This is probably THE biggest perk of being a teacher. I finally get to be a mommy again. I mean a full-time, on-call 24/7 mommy. I have to admit that I waited my entire life to be a mommy and never in those years of dreams did I envision having to work at the same time. I don't know why, my own mother worked, and worked hard, to support all 4 of us kids. But in my head, I was going to be June Cleaver-vacuuming in pearls, baking fresh cookies for my kids, and having dinner ready and waiting when my husband got home from work. Then I grew up and realized that black and white t.v., does not a reality make. Instead, my wonderful, loving, incredible husband does the cooking and laundry and even takes out the garbage. Me? I pick up the baby from our wonderful babysitter and I get to be mom for the night. Most of the time this arrangement feels more like a split custody agreement-only I get the sleepless half.

But all that changed on Monday. For the next 10 weeks, I get to be THE full time, one and only mama! I love waking up and starting the day with Izzy. I love getting to take her for walks (while it is still daylight!) and going to the pool. I love that I can figure out what to make for lunch at lunchtime. Mostly, I love to sit and cuddle with her in the morning. We can take our time and read all the books we want. There are no tears when we have to put down her favorite book, there is no rushing out the door and quick kisses good-bye. No tears- just lots and lots of loving and cuddling!

1 comment:

Emma said...

I'm glad you get to enjoy your baby 24/7 now.